In the 6th episode of the Video Wizards Podcast we travel all the way back to July in the year 1985. In this month, Yu Suzuki and SEGA go “full body” and unleash the Super Scaler revolution on arcade goers with the legendary superbike racer Hang-On. Namco show their quirkier side with the autorunner inspiring Metro-Cross and the cutesy-yet-slightly-disturbing alien shooter Baraduke, while Konami are all about stabbing Soviet saps in Green Beret. And then there is Atari’s Peter Pack Rat.
As Queen and Freddy Mercury rock Live Aid in Wembley, Madonna and a host of 1980s R&B artists get party people into the groove. Marty McFly aims to travel through time in a direction opposite to ours in what might be the quintessential 1980s Hollywood flick, while Roger Moore delivers his final role as James Stock, er, James Bond. Join us on this wild ride through the mid-point of the mid-eighties!
Show theme tune: NEON CITY, composed by Ed 「イートレム」 Tremblay for Mudprints Music and licensed exclusively to The Video Wizards Podcast, ©2019 Mudprints Music, all rights reserved.
Other music used in this episode:
- TV Theme Style (The Winner) – by Colin Thomson, 2018
- Title – by ??? for Hang-On, 1985
- Main Theme – by ??? for Hang-On, 1985
- Name Resist – by ??? for Baraduke, 1985
- BGM – by Nobuyuki Onogi for Metro-Cross, 1985
- Stage 1 Medley – by Brad Fuller for Peter Pack Rat, 1985
- Death/Game Over – by ??? for Green Beret, 1985
- BGM 1 – by Tamayo Kawamoto for Commando, 1985
- Title – by ??? for Doki Doki Penguin Land, 1985
- Human Beat Box (Part II) – by Fat Boys, 1985
- Hangin’ on a String (Contemplating) – by Loose Ends, 1985
- P.S.K. What Does It Mean? – by Schoolly D, 1985
- Ready to Strike – by King Kobra, 1985
- Mechanix – by Megadeth, 1985
- Into the Groove – by Madonna, 1985
- In My House – Mary Jane Girls, 1984
- All Fall Down – by Five Star, 1985
- Josephine – by Chris Rea, 1985
- A View to a Kill – by Duran Duran, 1985
- Toppop Tune – by Tonny Eyk, 1970
And finally: our special thanks to Andy Hofle.