In the fourth episode of the Video Wizards Podcast we find ourselves in May 1994, where Capcom made a powerful statement in that they were still not done with making “belt scrolling” beat ’em ups, with both Alien vs. Predator and Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom making their mark. In this time period, their fellow Osakan rivals SNK were showing their quirkier side with the goofy Top Hunter, while also – antagonistically – publishing Data East’s Karnov’s Revenge, the follow up to a fighter that Capcom fought a court case over, both on their Neo-Geo platform. And SEGA’s Daytona USA had made a rolling start in becoming one of their most popular and enduring arcade games of all time.
We also are confronted with the deaths of F1 phenomenon Ayrton Senna and actor Brandon Lee, as the latter’s movie The Crow sees a theatrical release. And after the death of Kurt Cobain, bands like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and the Stone Temple Pilots keep Grunge quaking. Do you possess the Mental Stamina to listen to almost 5 more hours of Video Wizards podcasting goodness?
Show theme tune: NEON CITY, composed by Ser Flash for Mudprints Music and licensed exclusively to The Video Wizards Podcast, ©2019 Ser Flash, all rights reserved.
Other music used in this episode:
- TV Theme Style (The Winner) – by Colin Thomson, 2018
- Opening – by Hideki Okugawa for Alien vs. Predator, 1994
- Round 3 – by Hideki Okugawa for Alien vs. Predator, 1994
- Wood Planet (Theme 1) – by Yoko Osaka, Yoshihiko Kitamura, Shiba Pooh, Akihiro Uchida, Masahiko Hataya & Toshio Shimizu for Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy, 1994
- Sky High – by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi for Daytona USA, 1994
- Karnov’s Theme – by Seiichi Hamada, Tomoyoshi Sato, Mihoko Ando, Masaaki Iwasaki & Shōgo Sakai for Karnov’s Revenge, 1994
- BGM 3 – by Isao Abe, Takayuki Iwai & Hideki Okugawa for Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, 1994
- Shooot! – by Seiichi Hamada, Tomoyoshi Sato & Masaaki Iwasaki for Windjammers, 1994
- Prelude to Glory – by Yasumasa Yamada, Yoshihiko Kitamura, Mariko & Yasuhiro Naka for Art of Fighting 2, 1994
- Mental Stamina – by Jeru the Damaja featuring Afu-Ra, 1994
- NY State of Mind – by Nas, 1994
- Black Hole Sun – by Soundgarden, 1994
- Big Empty – by Stone Temple Pilots, 1994
- Under the Bridge – by Red Hot Chili Peppers, 1994
- Love is All Around – by Wet Wet Wet, 1994
- Sweet Lullaby – by Deep Forest, 1992
- Theme of Wipeout with Paul Daniels – by David Arch, 1994
And finally: our special thanks to Andy Hofle.